An investigation by law enforcement is a very scary situation. Many people feel it is necessary to speak to law enforcement to explain away potential charges or try to convince law enforcement not make an arrest. It is never advisable to speak with any members of law enforcement without a criminal defense attorney.
The criminal defense attorneys with the law firm of Riebling, Proto & Sachs, LLP in Westchester County with offices in White Plains, New York have handled countless
criminal matters both as prosecutors and now as criminal defense attorneys. If you or a loved one is being investigated by Federal or State law enforcement call our office today to protect your rights. We handle every type of criminal charge all
The information contained in this criminal defense blog is designed to help you understand common investigation tactics and strategies of law enforcement.
I am being investigated by the police. What will they ask me?
Law enforcement ideally wants you to cooperate and feel comfortable. Sometimes they will apply pressure to get a statement they might not ordinarily be able to obtain. Some of the common strategies include questions and statements such as:
- All you need to do is be truthful with us and everything is going to be OK.
- We need to confirm some things with you.
- We are going to ask you some questions, we already know the answers, so we will know if you are lying.
- If you help us…help you, I'll talk to the DA or Judge. They will go easy on you.
- Tell me what I want or I am sending you to Jail.
- This charge is not that serious. You're likely just going to pay a fine.
- You can go to court with a lawyer.
- You know, you should hire this lawyer I am recommending.
- Your buddy just blamed everything on you. I am going to arrest you or him. I want to arrest him but you have to talk to me.
- The judge isn't going to be around for a few days.
- You don't need to speak with a lawyer or a family member.
- Once you "lawyer up" I can't help you.
- I am sending you to state prison.
- We are not targeting you for arrest but we need to know more about what happened.
- We have all the documents and evidence against you, let us know your side of the story.
- If you explain what happened I won't arrest you.
Law enforcement use those strategies to build a case against the accused. Again, the best criminal defense strategy is to contact a criminal defense attorney as soon as you learn of an investigation.
What about my Miranda Rights?
Miranda Rights are warnings that are given to people who are subject to a custodial interrogation by law enforcement. The reading of Miranda rights is not required in every situation. If the police violated an accused's Miranda Rights any statement made to law enforcement is subject to suppression by the criminal court.
What should I do if I am arrested?
If you are arrested in Westchester County or any of the surrounding counties call our law office. The sooner we are involved the more legal assistance we can provide. If arrested call our law office and a family member we can start working on the criminal defense immediately.
Call today for afree criminal defense consultation. (914) 946-4808